August 14, 2007

BACK FROM ANNAPOLIS

Well, I made it back - whew! It was certainly an interesting trip, that I can say! After 7.5 hours on the runway (yep, in the plane) then flight two flight cancellations, a security breach which shut down the airport in Baltimore (yep, I was there!) I finally made it to see my son! My husband also had hideous travel problems and neither one of us got there until Friday afternoon (we were sked to get there TH pm). BUT, once we saw Zach, all was well! He looks great but tired and he seems to be a lot more serious than he was before he left. He talked about hating the academy but loving it at the same time - it is a HARD summer for these kids and I just wanted to throw him in my suitcase and take him home but Tony wouldn't let me! I think Parents weekend is a double-edged sword really - it is great to see him and he was very happy to see all of us (we took his girlfriend of two years Nikki with us), BUT by the end of the weekend, he did not want to return to school. I think the homesickness is still there and I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and tell him it would be okay (okay, I did do that!) as I am having such a hard time with the fact that my baby is now a grown man! I never thought it would be this hard to let go BUT for me, it really is! Man, I love that boy! We did get to do all the things he wanted to do - we saw a couple of movies, we went to Outback, he drank Dr. Pepper all weekend, and he hung out in the hotel jacuzzi. He really wanted to lay around the hotel so we did. I think he is just exhausted and wanted to spend time with us talking and relaxing. We really enjoyed seeing him and I know he was glad we came. I have some pictures I would love to share of our weekend! I have to show off my handsome son in his new whites! So, here he is:
Isn't he so nice looking in his whites? Of course, I am biased but I thought he looked great! And Nikki and him make such a cute couple and he was so glad that we brought her (this was a hard discussion but I am
glad we did bring her since so many others were there as well). Of course, we needed a picture with our son as well and he was a good sport about it since all he wanted to do was get off the campus as fast as possible! And, I
really like this picture of Tony and Zach - I have very few pics of the two of them alone together and this one turned out great! The last
pictures are of me saying goodbye to Zach - how hard that was for me, I can't even describe! I tried hard not to cry and managed to wait until I was in the car. I can't wait to see him at Thanksgiving! As he was quick to tell me, "Only 102 days mom until I come for Thanksgiving!"
And yes, I am also counting down the days! So, there you have it - my weekend in Annapolis! Not much stamping done lately but I am going to be doing some tomorrow and
will have something to post for you all then! Have a great night!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh my goodness! What a weekend of truly wonderful, heartfelt moments! By the time of those last beautiful photos, you were doing such a great job of keeping it together! You can be so very proud of your son! What a sweet story!

~Bev

BarbK said...

OMG! I wanted to cry reading your post. Your son is very handsome, indeed. You must be so proud of him. I totally relate to saying goodbye. My kids live 900 miles from me and I say goodbye about 3 times a year and it breaks my hear every time. Here's a hug for you.

Deborah said...

Oh what a handsome son indeed! Nothing like the Navy whites! My dear Dad graduated from the Naval academy way back in 1926! Go navy!
Deb

Heather P. said...

Aww, I love that last picture of you and your son... It's beautiful!