May 10, 2011

THE OPEN SEA - AAAAAAHHH! MAKES THIS SAILOR SMILE :-)

Good afternoon all!! I know I took a break but I needed one - the knee is still hurting and the work comp system works slower than anything I have ever seen before, which frustrates me because I am not one who likes to sit around and do nothing - and that is about all I can do right now! So, I took a break, spoke sternly to myself, and have gotten back on track with things that I CAN do - like STAMP!!! So, I decided to ink up some of the new summer mini stamps, which I am soooooo excited about it because there are soooo many nautical sets in this mini - makes this sailor smile!!! This card is made with the set called The Open Sea - love, love, love this set!! It is so very versatile, I can tell already I will be inking this baby up quite a lot, heeehee!  I made this one to send to my son who is finishing up his last week as a college student and getting to embark on a new adventure as a 2nd LT in the Marine Corps! I can't believe it - in two short weeks he will graduate and receive his commission!! He truly is all grown up *sniff* but I am soooo very proud of him! Anyway, back to the card - I wanted to make him something that represented what he has done at the Naval Academy for the last four years and I think this set is perfect for that! I kept it very masculine - no frilly bows for that boy of mine *smile*  I used the new patterned paper Nautical Expedition (YUMMY!!!) and tore and inked the edges.  I stamped the images on Marina Mist cardstock and tore the edges of the cardstock as well.  The anchor is stamped in versamark and then embossed using gold embossing powder - although I scratched some of it off to give it that rusty, aged look - and it sure does look old :-)  I used one of the beveled windowpanes that was carried over from the Occasions Mini - so very glad we still have them, I just love playing with them! The twill ribbon is stamped with the background stamp from that set just to give it some texture.  I took the sentiment from the other new nautical stamp set in the summer mini called Travel Log - this is another must have!! Fabulous, fabulous stamps in this set!! I just used the word for the sentiment although the stamp shows the full definition of the word, this just worked better for me!  I love how it turned out - lots of paper crumpling and tearing, which I love, LOL!  I think he will like it - he is one who appreciates what I put into making a card :-)  Want to see a picture of my handsome son?  I have to share - I am a proud momma, LOL!
He is the one being held by all his friends at the Ring Dance - this is something they do when they reach their 2nd Class Year (a Junior in college) and is a huge big deal.  I love this picture - it makes me smile!! I am so very glad he will have all these wonderful memories and lifelong friends - that is just how the military is!!! I sure do miss it sometimes......but I digress, lol! I hope you like the card I shared today.....and, if you have to have the products you see here you can get them in my online store or by contacting me and having me place your order :-)  I will back tomorrow to share something else I am making for my young Marine to be :-) Until then, have a wonderful afternoon and I hope you get to stamp!!
Card Recipe:
Paper - Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Marina Mist cardstock, Nautical Expedition Designer Series paper
Inks - Marina Mist, Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Versamark Stamps - Out to Sea, Travel Log(sentiment)
Tools - Word Window punch, 1 1/4 inch circle punch, heat tool, gold embossing powder
Accessories - twill ribbon, beveled windowpane

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this Alex! That photo brings me back to my high school days when I dated "Middies" and attended the ring dance. With your hurt leg will you still be coming out this way for your son's graduation? I hope so! I still want to get together with you for lunch!